Pin It

Saturday 31 August 2013

Brown Bear Brown Bear Color Word Fun

Over the summer months I worked on some ideas I had for new units and projects.  One of the things I worked on are some new printables for learning the color words on the first few days of school.  I had some materials that I have used for ages and wanted to change things up a bit.

I love all of Eric Carle's work and decided to create some materials to expand on the Brown Bear Brown Bear book which is a favourite of mine!  I created a little book for each color.  Each book allows the children to draw pictures and practice printing the color words as well as introducing some basic Dolch vocabulary in a predictable pattern format. There are two versions of the booklet.  A fold-able version and a cut-apart and staple version.  





There is also a printable for each color word that allows the child to practice printing the color word, pictures to color, and an opportunity to add a picture of their own.  

In addition, I created pocket chart strips for each color.  They can be used as is or you can enlarge them on your photocopier.  We have a photocopier that lets us take an 8 X 11 sheet and enlarge it to 11 X 17!  I used it this week when I got my unit ready for school next week.  

I find real objects such as small toys or objects to fit in the blank spots in the sentence frames.  The children like to look for objects that fit.  

You can make multiple copies of the blackline masters to extend your opportunities to add "found" objects to your pocket chart.

Or you can leave the sheets in one piece, laminate them, add a bucket of colorful toys and turn them into a literacy center!  I like to laminate them and add some washable felts to the center so the students can underline or trace the color word with the correct color word.  


I ran off the sentence strips on my color printer for the 8 X 11 sheet.  Gives it a bit more pop for the centrer activity.   I used the enlargement feature on our photocopier to make my pocket chart version and just colored in the first picture with some felts.  

You can find this thirty page package at my Teachers Pay Teachers store!  Download the preview and let me know what you think! 

Lots of color fun, I hope!!  Have fun your first week back!





No comments:

Post a Comment